I absolutely love lemon meringue pie. This is my first attempt making one, and it turned out to be amazing. If you take a bite you will be surprised by the combination of flavors: sweet from the crust and merengue topping and sour from the lemon curd.
HOW TO MAKE THE BOTTOM CRUST
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix it until it forms a ball.
- Leave the dough to rest in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Grease your baking tin with butter.
- Roll out the dough and place a nice layer in the baking tin.
- Bake the bottom crust in the oven for 30 minutes and leave it to cool.
HOW TO MAKE THE LEMON CURD
- Combine the lemon zest, sugar and butter in a bowl. Put the bowl, au Bain Marie, on a pan with water on low/medium heat until everything melts together.
- Add the lemon juice to the mixture, stir and then add the eggs.
- Stir patently for 20 minutes until the lemon curd thickens like a yoghurt consistency.
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN MERENGUE
- Use a clean, fat-free bowl. Whisk the egg whites with the powdered sugar until its light and fluffy.
- Put water and sugar in a pan and cook until it forms a syrup. Do not stir.
- Add the syrup slowly in the merengue mixture while whisking.
ASSEMBLE THE LEMON MERENGUE PIE
- When the bottom crust has cooled, spread the lemon curd over the bottom.
- Put the merengue on top of the lemon curd. I used a pastry bag with an open star tip.
- To give the merengue some golden brown details, use a flame torch, or put it in the oven on grill-mode.
INGREDIENTS BOTTOM CRUST
- 225 grams of flour
- 160 grams of butter
- 80 grams of sugar
- half of a whisked egg
- pinch of salt
INGREDIENTS LEMON CURD
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 200 grams of sugar
- 125 grams of butter
- 2 eggs
INGREDIENTS ITALIAN MERENGUE
- 200 grams of egg whites
- 75 grams of powdered sugar
- 325 grams of sugar
- 85 grams of water
Hope you like this recipe! If you try it out or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please like or leave a comment, or tag a photo @happyfoodiefam on Instagram! Thank you.